Monday, November 1, 2010

The beginning of the Ukonwaba Photo Club

I'm from Brazil and came here in Africa to learn English, to travel, to know a bit of the African culture and to find my roots here in Africa. My great-great-grandmother was from Africa. My father is Portuguese and my mother's ancestors are from Africa. In fact, my story is the story of all Brazilian people. In the slavery time, between 15th and 19th centuries, a lot of African people went to Brazil. So Brazilian people are mixed.

We are mixed from Portugal, Africa, others countries of Europa, from all over the world and indigenous people - the natives that lived in Brazil when Portuguese people discovered and colonized the country.

Brazilian historians, sociologists say our miscegenation makes the Brazil's uniqueness. The richness of our culture comes from the diversity of our people. 

When I arrived here in March 2010 my wish was to enter in the heart of Africa. It wasn't so fast, because I didn't speak English in that time. However, I could realize, through the body and expression languages, through the culture on the streets, how much Brazil and Africa have so in common. 

Brazil is Africa. Africa is Brazil. Here, I feel at home.

Now, I have the opportunity to enter a little bit in the heart of Africa. 

I want to say, especially, thank you for Frida Vesterberg to believe in my job and open this space in Project Playground to create Ukonwaba Photo Club!

Thank you Africa!

Michelle Glória



No comments:

Post a Comment